Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What Do A Paralyzed Leg and A Hardened Heart Have in Common?


My husband reaches over and puts his hand on my knee. He quickly remembers and says “Oh, you can’t feel that, can you?” He’s right, of course, I cannot feel that any more. I cannot feel most of my left leg anymore (read the story here), but it used to work normally. I know he is there, he is right next to me, but the sensation of his touch has dulled. My senses no longer recognize his presence.

Having a partially paralyzed leg provides me with a great analogy and reminder of our sinful hearts. How can a numb leg make me think of a hardened heart? Well, read on and I will try to explain.

I know Christ is near me, with me every step of the way. I am a believer. I have placed my faith in Him. He will never leave me or forsake me.

We can flirt with sin, step over the line, and go further than we should. Maybe we used to hear the rooster’s loud crow; maybe we still hear it but choose to ignore it. Maybe we never hear it anymore. Has your conscience been seared, as with a hot iron? (1 Timothy 4:2) Has your heart become hardened and scarred, and now you no longer “feel” conviction like you used to?

We do what we ought not, and don’t do what we ought. We ignore that still, small voice. True believer’s cannot lose their salvation, cannot be snatched from the Father’s hand, but we are called to examine our hearts to see if we are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) Does God have His hand on your heart, and can you feel it? Or is your heart numb to Him? Examine yourself today!

1 comment:

  1. I wont stop putting my hand on your leg. Even if you can't feel it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete