Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Oh, Look, A Shiny Thing


We live in a day and age with fast food, microwave ovens and 200+ channels at our fingertips. Our world is constantly on the go…and so are our minds. We are easily distracted and always wanting to be entertained. Our minds are repeatedly bombarded with one image after another in rapid succession. It’s no wonder why quiet time seems like a relic from the past.  Every second or every day we have the entire sum of all human knowledge available on the internet. Constantly checking our email, Twitter and Facebook accounts, receiving phone calls on our cell phones no matter where we are. We spend so much of our time “connected” to the world around us.

There are times when I feel like there are 1,001 things running through my mind at once (I know most men think only one thing at a time, but all the women out there know what I am talking about!). I sit somewhere to spend some time in prayer, and it goes something like this….
“Dear, Heavenly Father, thank you so much for this day. May Your name be glorified….oh, I better start the laundry…right, praying….quiet my heart Lord….yes, that’s right, I forgot to take the roast out of the freezer….” You get the idea.

It took practice to learn how to use all the gadgets we carry around with us, and it takes practice to learn how to spend quality, uninterrupted, quiet time with the Lord in prayer. The refreshing, renewing and communion that comes from such quiet time with the Lord is a precious gift, and a necessity for our daily strength and focus. This is something I am making a priority each day. I start my morning away from technology, to study God’s word and pray. It helps keep me focused on Christ and keeps my mind calmer throughout the day.

How much time each day do you spend connected to friends, family and the world with messaging, calling, tweeting, etc.? How much time each day do you spend “connected” to God in prayer?

Have a great day! I have got to get back to...now, what was I doing?

No comments: