Thursday, September 13, 2018

Loss of Control

I admit it. I am a control freak. I like all of my ducks in a row.....a perfectly straight row, to be exact. If you knew me 10 years ago, you saw this attribute in full bloom! Health issues, age and a bit of wisdom have helped me learn to let go of a few things, but I will always be a planner. So, when things don't go according to my plan, it gets a bit uncomfortable (frustrating perhaps?) and I get irritated.

Our trip to Mayo Clinic didn't go quite like I expected, in large part because Northwestern Medicine "wasn't playing nice" according to my doctor. We requested ALL of my tissue samples about 6 weeks ago. Since I like to stay on top of things, I called to follow up with them 3 weeks later. They said they never received any request. I personally talked with the pathology department at that point, emailed a new request and paid $40 to overnight the samples to Mayo.

I then made sure the package showed up at Mayo, and got to the right doctor. Last week, it was here and in the right doctor. Then, we show up for our appointments today....

Turns out that Northwestern only sent 3 slides, that were already prepared with stain (doctor said like getting cooked meat instead of raw), instead of ALL the pathology as requested. The doctor then contacted Northwestern to get the remaining tissue, and the hospital refused to send MY tissue samples to Mayo Clinic so that they could properly diagnosis and treat me. Yup, that is irritating. 

As it turns out, the medical team here has seen enough to say with a fair amount of certainty that I do have CIDP and I did not ever have a neurofibroma. (Makes me wonder if this is why Northwestern isn't sharing?) Either way, I will begin treatment of low dose, weekly infusions of IVIG, and give it 4 months to start working. Then we will return to Minnesota again in January (yay) and repeat all the testing to see if there is any difference. 

In the meantime, I can assure you, Northwestern will get tired of hearing from me, until they give me ALL of MY tissues samples! (Chad says I am like a dog with a bone, so I won't let go until I get what I need). Mayo did not want to do a nerve root biopsy, unless they absolutely have too. The biopsy itself takes a big enough piece of nerve for testing, and will likely leave me with an additional neurological deficit. They will stay in touch once they get everything, and make their final, definitive decision on things (thought we would have that today, yep very irritating).

For now, I am still learning that ducks like to get out of line, and no matter how hard I try to keep them together, they frequently fail to comply with my desires. All of this makes me remember that my idea of control is all just an illusion anyways. In all honesty, I have absolutely no ability to make anyone else, or any situation work out according to my plan, and I don't want it to. 

I really do appreciate all of God's gentle (and sometimes not so gentle) reminders that His plan is different and better than mine. I can quit being like the little hamster in a wheel going around in circles trying to get somewhere, and rest in Him, knowing He knows exactly what I need, and exactly when I need it.

So, we will be home tomorrow. I am thankful to not be having surgery. I am grateful for friends and family who pray regularly, and send me a ton of messages of encouragement. Hopefully, I will continue to grow and these changes in my plans will bother me less and less as I get older. Lord, help me to be a more patient patient. One day at a time, right?!

Until Next Time~
Shari

No comments: