Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Ignoring The Warning Signs

Sometimes you know that you have a problem. Maybe you are too busy to deal with it. You might not want to face the problem (denial- it ain't just a river in Egypt!). You could even be dealing with another bigger problem, and choose to ignore the warning signs. I am an endless supply of prayer requests, and am always dealing with multiple issues. Sometimes, it feels like the more I pray for relief, the more new things pop up!

I had been feeling the stomach discomfort, and knew I was taking more NSAIDS recently to help with pain. I have had an ulcer in the past (twice actually) from steroids and ibuprofen usage, so I know what the signs are. I was aware enough that there was a problem, that I started taking over the counter stomach meds, but honestly, I didn't want to think about one more problem.....so I didn't. Sometimes, you ignore the warning signs until you are doubled over in pain after every meal, and it refuses to be ignored any longer.

Doctors now have me on a stronger, prescription medication for a gastric ulcer, and I am adjusting my diet to help also. I was left with no other option, than to accept the fact that I could no longer ignore the symptoms. Choosing to overlook little "problems" can often be life-threatening. An ulcer, if ignored long term, can grow larger until it literally eats a whole in your stomach, and you could die. A medical condition that is very common, and usually benign, over time becomes a very serious issue.

Our lives are all like this. We ignore signs, especially when the problem seems small, and easy to overlook. We convince ourselves it isn't a big deal, or we will deal with it at a more convenient time. Sin is the same way. We can let ourselves off the hook regarding our thoughts, words or deeds. We make excuses or convince ourselves it won't happen again. Eventually, that unchecked sin can becoming life-threatening. The Bible tells us that all of us sin, but did you know that your conscious can become so dull, that you no longer feel the gnawing pain of your sin? Your heart becomes callous, with repeated sin, like hands that are submitted to daily hard work. Eventually it fails to cause us pain any longer, and therefore we fail to take notice and rectify the problem.

Some of you might be tired of my constant reminders of our sin. Our need to repent, and turn to Christ alone for salvation, but what is more loving? Should we let our loved ones just fly passed all the clear warning signs, when we know the bridge is out ahead, and they are heading for disaster? Of course not! If we could help a friend or family member to accept and deal with a difficult issue, before it becomes life-threatening, we most certainly would! God's word is clear that sin will result in death. Not just the physical death that we all with face, but spiritual death- left dead in our sins, being eternally separated from God in hell, where there is no longer any hope for salvation.

Don't ignore that gnawing pain in your gut, my friends. It was put there to awaken you from your spiritual slumber, and cause you to see the deadly consequences of your sin. Go straight the Thy Great Physician, God Himself, in faith, and repent today so your healing may be complete. 💜

Until Next Time~
Shari

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shari! I popped over to your facebook page because you were a fellow winner of Sandy Allnock's playjournal prize, and I was curious to see what country you were from (I'm from Australia).

    I saw your blog post on your facebook page, and clicked through, mainly because your profile picture is a zebra (which I recognised as the rare illness symbol, not just there because you love African animals :P).

    So glad I did! I don't have CIDP, but I have multiple chronic illnesses, and several of them have overlapping symptoms with CIDP. I'm so encouraged to find a Christian sister who trusts in God not only in the absence of suffering, but also *through* the trials. I agree with everything you wrote (both about taking physical symptoms seriously, and also taking the warning of our consciences about sin seriously) and wanted to send you a hug, and an Amen.

    Much love, Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been a rough week, Sarah, so I am just seeing your comment! I am thankful you decided to look me up :) It is always good to hear from someone who knows what trials are like firsthand! Congratulations on winning a box of goodies too!

      Delete
  2. Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one!

    It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty
    much the same page layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete