Friday, January 4, 2019

Half Time

I contemplated calling this post "Half Way" but with football season upon us, and me sitting here in my New England Patriots sweatshirt today, I figured "Half Time" would be more appropriate. Today's infusion is my half way point. 10 Fridays have passed, and I have 10 more Fridays to go before I repeat the testing at Mayo, and follow up with the neurologist one more time (hopefully the last time).

It has been a difficult 10 weeks. I have been having headaches almost daily, and frequent migraines. We have the infusion rate as low as possible, which makes for long days on Friday. The doctor has added steroids, Benedryl, and Tylenol at the beginning of each infusion to help stop the reactions. So far it has been 10 weeks of side effects with no noticeable benefit. Mayo doctors did tell me that it can take 4-6 months to see any benefit....if there will be any benefit to see.

Right now, I feel like a football team in the locker room at half time, down by 30 points. I am discouraged, but determined. I know there is a long second half ahead, but I am not giving up. There is still a chance, and I have to keep fighting until the last buzzer (ok, honestly, I will admit that I am not sure there is a buzzer at the end of a football game. Am I mixing my sports metaphors again?!?). I may very well be the underdog, and the odds might not be in my favor right now, but there just might be a 4th quarter come back.

You have heard me say it many times, especially in recent months, but I am hanging in there and taking one day at a time. I am managing my expectations. I am keeping my eyes upon Christ, and trusting fully in the fact that God is working in the midst of all of this. He has and will continue to strengthen me, giving me the grace I need for today.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. Praying for good health in 2019, but more importantly, I pray that each of you might come to truly know Christ as Lord and Savior.

No comments: