Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Howdy Stranger!


So it has been a long 10 days since I last posted. The prednisone side effects have been overwhelming. Today I am at the 4 week mark, with just 2 weeks left to go. I am starting to get a bit more sleep, which I am very thankful for, but am still very tired. The stomach upset is currently the worst of the problems from the medication.

Still no relief from any of the neurological issues, and no word from Mayo Clinic either. I am learning to be patient and wait. Then wait some more. I am hopeful that I will hear from them soon regarding an appointment. In the meantime, my doctors at RIC in Chicago have suggested less walking and more biking or the possibility of getting a wheelchair that is used for "racing". I will be going there a couple days a week for now to try out different options that are available. Unfortunately, these types of chairs used for sports (this kind of wheelchair would be the type used for "running") are never covered by insurance and are expensive. Chad has been running and is in training for the Tough Mudder race in May. Please pray that I could find an alternative to walking that would enable me to "run" with Chad, working my upper body and getting outside to exercise. Pray that funding might present itself if we are able to find what would best work for me as well. I have always enjoyed going for walks and don't want to give it up! Between my left knee/leg issues and the concerns about me ruining it further, and the nerve issue in both legs causing me to have numbness, weakness and being unsteady on my feet, I think my days of walking are over.

The doctor wants me to be more active and suggested setting a goal. So, I have talked Chad and my daughter, Katherine, into doing the Morris Triathlon on our anniversary in September. It is a 2 mile kayak, 11 mile bike ride and 5k run (hoping to have an armbike or racing chair by then). It is a family event, so I don't intend to be competitive, but hoping just to finish it! Anyone interested in joining us? (more info here)

Sorry for my lack of inspiration lately. Thank you all so much for your prayers. I am excited to keep moving forward. I praise God whom has been so amazing faithful to provide good friends who support me and pray for me. Each of you is so very much appreciated! "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you" Philippians 1:3

No comments: