Sunday, January 30, 2022

Off To A (Not So) Great Start

 Many of you have mentioned that I haven't blogged in a long while. Honestly, sometimes events or thoughts spur a blog post, and I can't sleep until I get it down on paper. Other times, many months or longer fly by, and I don't have much to say (hard to believe, I know). The truth is that lately I haven't felt well enough to do much of anything except that which is essential for daily living. 

It has definitely been a rough couple of months. I had a cold just before Thanksgiving, and got better just in time to have my second bout of covid the first week of December. I am thankful it was mostly like a mild flu, and MUCH easier than the first round in October 2020. I felt pretty much back to my "normal" by mid-December. I got back to regular activities and enjoyed the holidays with family. Our daughter was exposed to covid, and tested positive a few days after New Year's Eve. I started getting sick again a couple days after exposure, but tested negative. I had all the symptoms, and the doctor said to assume I had the Omicron variant based on my symptoms and exposure.

I had mild cold/flu symptoms for less than a week, but with some lasting congestion. I was mostly okay by January 8th, but only for about 7 or 8 days. Things went back downhill as I continued to battle congestion, sinus headache, overwhelming fatigue, dizziness, and other cold symptoms. I just really wasn't getting better, so I finally saw the doctor this past week. She thinks it is likely "lingering covid" symptoms which can persist for 12-16 weeks!! I started antibiotics a few days ago, and a steroid pack today, and am feeling completely miserable. (I am so thankful I bought a case of tissues a few months ago, because I have needed them)

I don't usually lounge around, even on bad days, but lately I haven't had much choice. It has been an extended time of reading, praying and napping (some whining about how bad I feel too). I actually have a hard time doing "nothing", so even when I feel sick, I usually make dinner and keep up with housework. 

I feel like this past year has been like 60 grit sandpaper, sanding down the rough spots and making me more aware of my weakness and sin, and my utter need for my Savior! No one likes to walk through the valleys, but how much more does the grace of God shine through when there is nothing else we can cling to but Christ!

It is easy to feel weary and frustrated when things like this are added upon my normal health struggles. It takes deliberate and intentional steps to stay in the Word and prayer. God promises us that He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5), but that doesn't mean Satan wouldn't love to get us wallowing in self-pity. So, I will try to enjoy this extended time of rest, and remember God's promises. We truly have SO much to be grateful for, especially our Savior.


Until Next Time~

Shari


No comments: