Tuesday, November 10, 2020

(UN)Happy Valley

 I am not sure if anyone else uses this term, but my husband and I tend to call a sleepy, small and safe town (like the one we live in) "happy valley". If you live in a "happy valley", you probably know your neighbors, and maybe don't always lock your doors. You might feel somewhat isolated from big city crime and possibly let your kids play outside without much concern. Recently the term "happy valley" has come to my mind several times. I don't know where we first heard the term. A quick Google search reveals there is an actual town named Happy Valley just outside Portland, Oregon (who knew?). I didn't see a Wikipedia article explaining it the way we use the term, so maybe it isn't a common expression!

I am not even sure how we came to think of a valley as a happy place. Most everyone has heard the familiar words of Psalm 23 verse 4 that read:


"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

This valley doesn't sound all too happy! Although we can fear no evil, with God by our side, and trust him to comfort us. Valleys most frequently used to tell of the low times we go through. Scripture often uses imagery to paint a picture of an idea. Picturing "the valley of the shadow of death" paints a pretty dark picture. Mountain tops are often used as illustrations of a closeness to God, while being in the valley is more desolate.

This year has been overwhelming for most people on so many levels. Political divides, riots, unemployment, worldwide pandemic, and even murder hornets are on the news day after day. Just one of those things is enough to bring us to our knees in prayer, and all of them at once seem almost too difficult to bear up under.


I have had a difficult couple of months myself. Worsening (and virtually continuous pain) is hard enough to handle. It is amplified by the disconnection from friends and family that the coronavirus has caused, and my husband's loss of his job. On top of that, I continue to struggle physically with doing things I enjoy or even chores that must be done. My body does not always cooperate with my to-do list!


When we came home from our Mayo Clinic trip in September, I brought home COVID-19 as a souvenir. I had a fairly mild case, but there were still a few difficult days followed by extreme fatigue. Just as I started to come up for air, I had a mild flu or a bad cold which knocked me down again. Each illness has ripple effects as I seem to lose a little more stamina, bounce back a little slower than I once did, and do not quite make it all the way to 100%. 

Lately it feels like I am in a valley, darkened by the forest canopy that blocks the sun. It doesn't feel like a "happy valley" and yet I am comforted. God is with me, regardless of how I feel. Each step of the way, as I am learning to let go of my plans, dreams, desires, and abilities, God has given me peace. Every painful step has been taken intentionally, moving me onward instead of remaining stagnant. I am not "happy" in the midst of all of this, but am able to have a joyful heart. One day I will look up and see the sun, realizing that my journey has brought me out of the valley. The nighttime of tears will be replaced with the joy that comes in the morning (Psalm 30).


This year has been long, and we all could use a little sunshine. Hang in there. Morning is coming! Flee to Christ, that you may find comfort and joy in him. Lift up your eyes to the hills, for there is where our help comes from (Psalm 121:1-2). Lift up your eyes and see that the view isn't so bad. Maybe we can rename this place our "Joyful Valley" as God restores to us the joy of our salvation (Psalm 51:12), and lifts our eyes off of our own temporary struggles.



Until Next Time
~Shari

No comments: