Thursday, August 9, 2018

Lost In Space

I thought I would try to write a short post, since I have been very wordy recently! I mentioned the sensory and motor nerve issues that were discovered on my tests in yesterday's post. I have been thinking about the doctor explaining this all to us.

Tests showed some motor nerve involvement. This would cause weakness, and muscle atrophy, which is why I fatigue quickly, and can't walk as far as I used to. There is also some demyelination. Myelin is the protective covering over your nerves. It is like the outside plastic sheath on electrical wires. When nerves show signs of demyelination it means that the protective coating is being destroyed by the disease process. Just like a short in an electrical wire, without the coating on the nerves, the signals slow or stop and cannot pass correctly along the nerve, getting lost along the way.

My tests also show sensory nerve damage. In fact, my testing shows that this part is the worst part of my particular case. The doctor said it was one of the worst sensory exams he has done. Sensory nerves help you feel hot or cold. They allow you to feel rough and smooth surfaces. They enable you to walk, and feel the ground under your feet. My legs are numb from my toes to my hips. So much so that I have burned myself in the shower without realizing it. One of the biggest problems with not having much feeling in your limbs, is the difficulty your brain has trying to communicate properly with them. I cannot always tell where my feet are in space. Proprioception is the brain's ability to have a sense of the position of all our body parts as we move. It usually lets us know how hard we are pushing down, or weight bearing.

Because of all of this, I am a bit "lost in space." I start to take a step forward, and instead I lose my balance and end up side-stepping to try to stop from falling (danger Will Robinson!). I end up going in a direction that I did not intend to go, and THAT sums up our life right now. It probably seems like a lot of your lives too. We think we are headed in one direction (at work or home, perhaps medically or relationally), when we realize we have had to do a couple quick side steps to stop from falling. I went to Mayo thinking that we would get answers about our future (learn more about my prognosis), and came home questioning our past.

Proverbs 16:9 reminds us that "The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." We may feel like we are stumbling around. It may seem like we are falling and side-stepping instead of heading in the direction we should be going, but God has ordained our steps. We may not feel like we are on a straight path. Our idea of straight may be different from the Lord's. God's ways are higher than ours. His purposes mightier. We are to trust in the Lord with all our heart, and not lean on our understanding, but in all our ways acknowledge Him. If we do, He promises us to make our paths straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

I have said many, many times that this is not a path I would have ever chosen. I don't think anyone in their right mind would sign up for this, but I believe with all my heart, that I am walking this road for God's glory and my good. I am thankful for His loving discipline, and the Spirit's leading and guiding. I am grateful that He has begun teaching me patience, love and compassion. I am praying that God would graciously open your eyes to His truth, open your heart to His Son, and give you faith to trust that He is making our crooked paths straight.

Until Next Time~
Shari

No comments: