Sunday, November 10, 2013

From Generation to Generation

I have found myself thinking about the past a lot recently. This is not typical for me. I tend to keep moving forward, so I don't get "stuck" there. I am not one to relive the "glory days" or hang on to anger and thus stop forward progression. But lately, my thinking about the past is different. I believe the older I get, the more nostalgic I become. This all started after my mother's passing. Since she was always there and we had constant contact, I never thought much about what would happen when she was gone.

For starters, I find myself intrigued by digging up my genealogical records. Trying to go way back. Where is our family from? What were my grandparents, or great-grandparents like? While none of this information is of real importance in my daily living, it somehow interests me. I also have thought more often about the recent past. Why hadn't I taken more pictures of my mother, or with her? Why did I not record more of her stories and memories she used to share? And probably the biggest question of all, why were there no items past down from other generations to share with my children.

Most of my past isn't worth remembering to be honest, but it did shape who I have become. All the bad things, all the people, every minute of every day, God used to draw me onto Himself. While I don't intend to sit around longing for the "good ol' days"; I do wish our family had more of a story to tell. Months ago, I started to record my life: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Written partially like a memoir and partially just a list of things I remember doing, places I have gone, and things I have learned. Some day I think my children and grandchildren will enjoy reading through some of those things. I know I would love to read through some things like that of my mothers.

So, why do I ramble on about the past? Well, for two reasons.

First, I am so very thankful that God in His mercy reached down and touched my heart that I might believe, and in doing so forever changed our family's trajectory. The Bible mentions in so many places about the blessings and curses that are past down from generation to generation. My prayer has been that we might nurture our children and they might nurture their children, and so on and so on, and that God might be glorified as we do. I pray that the past that I remember from my own childhood, would never repeat itself.

Secondly, this nostalgia has spurred me to make sure I record some memories for future generations. It has reminded to start traditions, and to make meaningful keepsakes. This is why I have started our other blog. Why I create. Why I scrapbook. That I might pass down my faith, my memories, and any wisdom that God has taught me. I will leave you with a verse to inspire you to do the same: "One generation shall commend your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts." Psalm 145:4


Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful Lord's Day!!

No comments: